Author Topic: Ben's Gaming Blog  (Read 463 times)

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
Ben's Gaming Blog
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »

Well, thought I might do it here as an incentive to actually keep this up to date...

{ A note on photos. I've taken some, but I'm still working out how to upload them. Bare with me. This will be more interesting with photos }

-What I'm Playing-

Warmachine - Grymkin. And I'm actually intending on painting some of these to break up painting fucking plaguebearers....

40K - Blood Angels. But don't ever expect to see those painted.

Malifaux - {Awaiting M3E and trying to stop buying Neverborn}

Age of Sigmar - Well.

So I decided my time was done with the Nighthaunts - wasn't enjoying playing with them, didn't think the paint job I did was very good. So I've decided to finally get to work on finishing my Age of Sigmar Maggotkin of Nurgle army (for the unitiated - everything Nurgle in Age of Sigmar from Plague Monk Skaven to Warriors to Demons). But I wanted to be able to do this army, ideally, fully painted from game to game. Sadly, thats not going to happen - I don't have the time or the patience to get everything done before I start playing. I'm a gamer, not a painted. But I do want to get all of it done before I move on to something new, perhaps even trying out new techniques to improve myself as a painted and converter - more on that later.

With the intention of doing a unit a week, I've been working on the two units of 30 Plaguebearers that seem to be forming the core of my lists this week, though I expect this will roll over into next week, especially since I go on holiday in a couple of days. The main idea with these units was to tidy up an old drybrush paint job on the old metal Plaguebearers that I think most folk in the club have had set against them for some times - a tidying up job which involved washing them with Coelia Greenshade to begin with, and then trying out something new with a technique I found and stole online. It's not quite there yet, but I've based them with Leadbelcher, washing with Agrax Earthshade and have just finished giving them a coat of wartered down Typhus Corrosion. Next step is to give them a bit of colour with some Rust Red from Secret Weapon Pigments - something I've not used before but I'm interested in trying out since I want to use the rusted armour on the big unit of Chaos Knights I've got staring at met from the big pile on my desk of mainly unbuilt Malifaux boxes & Primaris Marines.

The other job I'm doing tonight before bed is basing. I'm using cork sheet for this army, layers of it being sprayed Uniform Grey from Army Painted before touching up with a brush and then inking Badab Black. Just that would look fairly dull, so for the demons I'm using some dead grass flock to add a bit of character, but for the mortals I'm using the Valhallan Blizzard texture to give a stormy mountain vibe. My first unit of Chaos Warriors have been painted, but need some Blizzard on their bases. That's an easy 20minute job though, and I'm saving that for when I need a break from fucking Plaguebearers.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the second unit of Plaguebearers in a while. Because I'm working on their bases. Also because there are 30 of the fucking things and I'm putting off getting to work on them.....

(photos to follow, thanks for reading)

B
Grymkin 0/0/0 - Maggotkin 2/0/2 
M3E
Jack Daw 0/0/0 - Leviticus 1/0/0

Starscream

• Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 06:06:57 AM »
Im looking forward to seeing your MK !
HAAC - Hobby At All Costs

moonsmite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
If I were you, would use the blood angels as your test subject for the contrast paints. That way you can decide if you enjoy using it and get practice before painting something your excited to paint ;)
Glass Hammer - 30/66
Goblin Gaming - 4/18

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »
If I were you, would use the blood angels as your test subject for the contrast paints. That way you can decide if you enjoy using it and get practice before painting something your excited to paint ;)

That's a solid idea actually, thanks! I've been hesitant to paint the Blood Angels as I'm not sure the direction I want to go with them, a lot of them need re-basing (Sorry Neil!) and I just don't have the time or the inclination to do anything with them. Truth be told, I was planning on trying out the contrast paints on my Grymkin - but the Blood Angels might be a better shout. Cheers!

Im looking forward to seeing your MK !

Thanks Archie! I'm back from holiday and Laura is working pretty much every night this week, so I've got multiple evenings that I can get a good 2-3 hours done if I get my head down so by the end of the week, so I'm hoping to have the two fully painted units of Plaguebearers and a Daemon Prince painted and ready for the table!

Then all I need to do is start looking at what to do about Rotigus....
M3E

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
I love Contrast Paint.

So, having finally gotten some time to sit down at the painting table for a couple of hours, I started working on Rotigus to try and get him painted beyond his upper body.

And apart from his hood & big stick, he’s done. My plan is to go & pick up a purple contrast paint for his hood on Sunday, and work on his stick tomorrow - I’m trying to do a redwood effect and I’ve got a couple of plans for that.

As for the unit of 30 Plaguebearers, they’re nearly done too! I’ve done all the flesh, so they just need the bone painting onto their swords - another thing I can easily do tomorrow.

Next job, Epidemius! He’s been sitting in a drawer partially built for several years, let’s see what we can do.

I also played a game against Martin. Jesus this army does a lot of mortal wounds.

Another note on photos - I’ll put some up tomorrow when a) stuff is more finished & b) when I work out how....
M3E

redgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
You can either use attachments on here (below the post content box) or use a image hosting site like imgur.

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »
Thanks Martin.

So, photos later!
M3E

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
Quick update thrown together in the last few minutes of my lunch break.

Still struggling with photos because I'm not brilliant when it comes to uploading images online. You can see my Rotigus on the facebook page, and I'll put one up later of the unit of 30 plaguebearers I finished last night!

As always with these things, when I have a tournament coming up, it spurs me into action! My plan is very much to play with what I have painted and nothing else - which means I have another Great Unclean One to paint (and a giant ass bell to attach to a model not designed to take one!) and 6 Plague Drones to paint and convert bases for - see, I loathe flight stands, especially on fucking plague drones, so I've purchased two citadel wood sets with the intention of painting them up as dead trees and mounting the Plague Drones on top.

Again, I suspect I shall be relying on St. Contrast to get these done at speed, so I hope to write an update later on how I've gotten on with those bases...
M3E

Mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 04:14:22 PM »

Here you go...

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 10:06:05 PM »
Awesome!! Thanks Mart!!!

Been fiddling with bases tonight, so nothing major to report. But the bases for the plague drones will be the same cork sheets I’ve used for the other models in the army, but with the trees mounted on. I’ve been planning on having two units of 6 eventually for my flying circus army so I’m trying to do different types of trees - for ease & speed considering I’ve only got just over two weeks until the tournament so the first 6 are going to be the same wood I’ve used for Rotty’s stick. Then maybe grey with brown ink aiming for dead trees for the other unit.

Then I’ve got Epi & maybe a plague claw to get done. Oh and a Lord of Blights. Because -4 to hit with shooting attacks on a unit of 30 of Plaguebearers is filthy. Filthy I say!!

Yeah. What could go wrong?

Did I say I’d finished that unit of 30? Because they still need grass on the bases. And I can’t decide whether to do the musician as playing a bone trumpet or not...
M3E

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »
Given the heat, getting anything done tonight was unlikely.

So, all I’ve done is build & organise. Trees are prepped for cleaning & gluing and I’ve built the bases for the plague drones. I’m out of white undercoat, so I’ll pick some up on Saturday, then get the drones & trees painted Saturday night. Then I can have a nice relaxing week finishing off bits & bobs before the tournament a week on saturday*

I’ve been thinking about the trees. The Citadel trees come on stands which dwarf the corn sheet they’ll be resting on. Whilst they do give the trees a slanted, haunted look, I’m inclined to file the trees flat and attach them directly to the cork sheet. Maybe if I/when I do another unit I’ll do them differently to differentiate the units.

Still haven’t settled on a list for next week. Suspect I’ll take a Tallyband battalion as that fits what I’ve got painted, though after all this is done, I’m inclined to start painting Blightkings. Got a killer list brewing...so, to Glotkin or not to Glotkin?

*will I fuck, we all know I’ll be covered in paint at 1am trying to finish because I forgot something...
M3E

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 10:44:44 PM »
....this tree plan was a BAD PLAN!!
M3E

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
Ok, so I've calmed down a bit now.

The trees are going to look great - if I can get them done in time. I've got everything built & undercoated now (apart from the Scrivener - more on him soon) and I'm going to be submitting my list soon so everything will be set in stone and I'll have about 4 evenings of painting to get everything done.

(I was going to do the plague drones on Saturday, but I was in a bookshop and it was raining outside so I got caught up reading the book cover to cover - so sue me, it's been a while since I've done that. And then read another one...)

So, on painting. Tonight I'm doing the blasted trees and getting them on the bases. Then, I'll be working on the riders and the characters. If I can get all that done by Tuesday, then I can work on the bugs themselves. Hoping that won't take long....

For those interested, here's my list;

Battalion; Tallyband of Nurgle
Rotigus (General)
Spoilpox Scriviner (Artifact - The Witherstave)

30 Plague Bearers
10 Plague Bearers
10 Plague Bearers

6 Plague Drones

Other units;
Lord Of Blights
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (Another artifact goes here. Gyrstrike maybe?)
5 Chaos Warriors of Nurgle.

Now, about the Scrivener. I hate it. I think it's a fucking horrible fiddly bastard of a model that I'm not looking forward to painting in any way shape of form. If I didn't need him for the battalion I'd drop him like a shite on a hot day. Truth be told, I'm not sure about the battalion in the slightest (For those not in the know, it heals D3 wounds from friendly models in the battalion beginning of each turn) and with dropping that, the Scriverner and possibly the Chaos Warriors I could get a Great Unclean One in the list as well to support the Plague Drones. So it would look like;

Great Unclean One (General, The Witherstave)
Rotigus
Lord of Blights

30 Plague Bearers
10 Plague Bearers
10 Plague Bearers

6 Plague Drones.

Leaving me with 220 points to play with. Which I almost don't have models to fill with. I did consider having a pair of Beasts of Nurgle (160) and then an extra command point to help fuel the Lord of Blight/Plague Bearer machine.

Intereged to know what you think.

EDIT: Fuck a duck, I entirely forgot about the goddamn fucking Gnarlmaw I'll need to put on the board beginning of the game. I don't even know what the fucker is, never mind getting it built & painted! Fuck!
M3E

Stoned Troll

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »
Err just been watching Catch22, which I thought was an amazing representation of one person's descent into madness....um until now....!  ;)
Ps you know Nurgle is contagious right?!

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
Err just been watching Catch22, which I thought was an amazing representation of one person's descent into madness....um until now....!  ;)

I must be going mad painting these fucking trees. That being said, I can use these fellas in 40k as well, so there is that...

Ps you know Nurgle is contagious right?!

Nurgle is Love, Nurgle is Life  ;)
M3E

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk