Author Topic: Ben's Gaming Blog  (Read 3111 times)

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Gaming Blog
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »
Don’t be intimidated by all the flesh to paint on your ogors, there are so many ways to paint it quite quickly now that look really effective. I’ve come across so many videos, blogs and threads on methods, but a good one is coating with Cadian fleshtone then going over it with thinned gulliman flesh contrast paint.

Thanks Mart, I'll probably use that with James' suggestion for rusted weapons if I wind up having to paint up all of my Ogre Bulls and Ironguts for Nationals. That's looking less likely now as I'm just waiting to find out if it's 1500 or 2000 points for the event before I commit to painting large amounts - If it's 1500 I'm inclined to use Skaven as I'll be painting and using them for the AOS event we're doing at the club, but if it's 2000 I'll be doing my 10 model 5 Stonehorn list painted as living statues. Because fuck having to remember rules.

For those of you still interested in Malifaux (I'm going to document the Skaven I do for the AOS campaign elsewhere) I've finally decided that Seamus should be painted like the rest of the crew and so he's just waiting for a bit of inking now and he'll be done. Rather than follow through with my original plan and get my Jack Daw crew painted up, I'm waiting until I can get a couple of new Hanged before I do that (and finish building my final Guilty, but he's about 20 something pieces, so I'm putting him off) so I'm going to build and paint my Molly crew first, and then move on to getting my Leviticus crew painted up in the same style so I have some options. Problem with that is I'm going to need another 5-10 lamps so that the Molly and Seamus crew link up.

I'm also not sleeping, and being in a state of constant exhaustion isn't best when trying to paint. The total mess I made of the Copycat Killer in the Seamus crew is a testament to this.

I've also got a question - which may be better asked in another thread as I don't know how many people are still reading this blog (although I will, eventually, get photos on here once I finally sort out how the fuck it works) but I've been thinking of Kings of War and putting an army together. My understanding is that it's less about the amount of models, but the movement tray they sit on - and, to be honest, I'm enjoying planning and building bases then I am actually building and painting the models themselves - so I've been working on a couple of ideas - namely Undead pirates with wooden deck style bases or the army of scary scarcrows and monsters - the name of which escapes me - which fits a very particular esthetic which appeals to me - namely that of fairytale monsters and things that go bump in the night.

Might have to look into that in a bit more detail after the Nationals. Then again, I've got a 40K project I'm working on as well on the side. An army of living statues and the explorers who have been looking for them....
Grymkin 0/0/0 - Maggotkin 3/0/2 
M3E
Jack Daw 0/1/0 - Leviticus 2/0/0
<Super Secret 40K tech>
0/0/0

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
DOOMWHEEL! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMWHEEL!

-ahem-

Sorry, I've been getting excited about the Age of Sigmar campaign and, frankly, pissing around with multiple Doomwheels zipping around. Plus, I've found some interesting looking conversion kits online for Jezzails and Acolytes which has gotten me a lot more excited about the project.

On other projects;

Age of Sigmar - see above. I'm also in the process of painting up 4 Stonehorns ready for the Nationals - I'm doing the GW living statues army - just need to find some moss to add to my statues. Sorted. I'm also playing around with water effects for the AOS campaign - the Skaven are going to be done completely with Contrast for the record purely for speed and convenience because I'm also working on an Ogre pirate army with Ironblasters, Leadbelchers and a big unit of Ogres for the "motley crew" using the Maneater Pirate for my Captain. Just trying to sort out some ships rails to go on the front of the models. Might just wind up cutting off the edges of sprues...also...

Malifaux - I've painted Seamus! Those of you at club tonight will see the Sin City style of crew in the flesh for the first time! And, just because the models were in front of me when I did Seamus and I had mixed up a bit too much grey paint/water then I needed and didn't want to waste it I wound up painting Jack Daw and Montressor as well! I do love those models, soon as I get my hands on another couple of Hanged I really want to do get my Jack Daw crew back on the table. But then, I'm also trying (and trying is definitely not the word I would initially use) to get my Molly crew built. Archie is done (and is painted too so I can use him in my Seamus crew until I get Madam Sybelle and/or a gravedigger built/painted) but I want to sort out the whole keyword.

Right, end of lunchbreak, better get back to work. Spending my lunchbreak painting was oddly satisfying. Might try it again another time.
M3E
<Super Secret 40K tech>
0/0/0

DocB

• Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »
I've been lazy.

Over the weekend I achieved a grand total of nothing, apart from winning an Ebay auction for a box of The Hanged which is the last thing I need (until the Dead Outlaws are released) for my Jack Daw crew. I'm in the process of building my third Guilty at long last - if you look at;

https://www.wyrd-games.net/plastic-build-instructions/2015/8/4/14y1oem2rjth8bkezgvppmbp76pxij

Then it's the one who is lying on the bed. Unsurprisingly, those fucking straps are causing me issues. I'd also like to get Manos painted for my Jack Daw crew as a ranged way of getting Staggered onto models seems to be a strong thing to have rocking around in the crew, even if he doesn't quite fit the theme. Also the Yan Lo crew I'm planning (Shut up Tim, I can use him) will have a different "single colour" to the Jack Daw crew, which will make models I put in there stand out as not being part of the keyword. Not sure how I like that or not.

I've also got another two packs of lamps on the way. They don't quite fit the theme for the Jack Daw or Yan Lo crews, but I think they will suit the Molly forgotten crew quite nicely. I'm actually playing Tim on Friday and am thinking of using my Dr. McMorning crew, depending on the strategy, or sticking with Seamus for the moment. I don't think The Hanged will be with me, built and painted by Friday, which rules them out completely, and I think the Jack Daw crew needs at least one Hanged to function at full capacity. Whether it's better in Outcasts or Ressers is another debate entirely.

I've also prepped my Leviticus crew for undercoating with Bete Noir for my Seamus crew. I've got 5 models left to do for Seamus to have all of the (released) keyword models for him ready to go. Rotten Belles have taken a fall since M2E but I'd like to try running them again, trying what I believe has come to be known as "Pimp Hand Seamus".

If you don't play Malifaux, you can unglaze your eyes now.

I've been looking at getting back in 40K, but I'm not sure where to start. I have part of an Eldar army gathering dust in the garage but I've also been thinking of doing a Sanguine Guard themed army - all Golden Host - with the Sanguinor actually as a Sanguinary Ancient or unit champion rather than the Sanguinor - as I want to try and get my hands on the Sanguinius model from Forge World for that role, along with a couple of Leviathon dreads.

This could get expensive, fast. Hey, a dreadnought & Golden Host army could be fun...might play with some lists later.

In the meantime, back to building a guy strapped to a bed...
M3E
<Super Secret 40K tech>
0/0/0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk